domingo, 17 de febrero de 2008

Hello, you are my very special one

It's been a while of no blogging for me. And mostly that while has been enjoyable and enjoyably filled with things like: nice weather, visits (I have happily been both visitor and visited and I hope to continue in this pattern), increased comprehension in Spanish, trying to get my students pen pals from my high school, enchiladas (visitors brought me food supplies), ridiculous clubs full of young Basques, novels, magazines, plans for the future, gossip about the past, a sidreria (that's a traditional Basque cider house, kids), discussions of issues of deep importance (independence, inter-personal relationships, the relationship of the mental to the physical, etc, etc), curry, laundry, a hair cut, not writing much poetry, cleaning the bathroom (but just once), walking on the beach, valentines, Spanish reality television, checking facts on the interent, new shoes and embracing my love of lists, even if it does not always lead to increased clarity and order.

In short I'm not really sure what to say. I'm in between. I live in Spain, I'm mostly happy, but sometimes I am not. I think that next year I am actually going to graduate school and that almost seems real to me. Most things almost seem real to me.

When you don't know what to say you must turn to the words of others so here is a poem by Les Murray that I read in The New Yorker a while back, which I like for it's simplicity, it's rapid line breaks and it's turn at the end. Also, that's just really how I feel sometimes, you know?


Science Fiction

I can travel
faster than light
so can you
the speed of thought
the only trouble
is at destinations
our thought balloons
are coated invisible
no one there sees us
and we can't get out
to be real or present
phone and videophone
are almost worse
we don't see a journey
but stay in our space
just talking and joking
with those we reach
but can never touch
the nothing that can hurt us
how lovely and terrible
and lonely is this

No hay comentarios: